Thursday, June 07, 2007

Edge Hill

Charlie and I made our way to Little Italy via an oft-neglected path that snakes its way down Edge Hill. Concealed within a patch of woods below the Innovation Center of Case Western University, an archaic series of stone steps winds back and forth along the slope. A good many of the stairs are cracked and sunken, making the descent quite treacherous. The brickwork of the landings is a minefield of exposed roots and rutty mud patches. The path terminates above a five-foot tall stonewall beside Edgehill Rd. We jumped down, essentially falling into the heart of Little Italy.

“That’s some path,” Charlie said. “How did you find it?”

“One time last winter, I was going through some emotional problems,” I explained, “so I decided to go for a walk. I stumbled on the path and followed it down here. At the time, it was covered in snow.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t break your neck.”

“That’s just the thing--you can never break your neck when you want to.”

---------------

Inspired by a post, "Real Life Snippet," from
Tumor Rumors.

1 comment:

Charles said...

Well-projected. I might have to use it someday myself. Or I might use the snippet to introduce you at Eastern Milwaukee State.