Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Injustice Revisited

Walking down to the train station yesterday on my way to work, I cut across Cedar, not at a crosswalk. I flagrantly jaywalked. A Cleveland Heights police car was parked on the opposite side of the street, in front of the bank. I held my breath as I made my way to the other side of the street. I did not run, but held a brisk pace for there was a considerable window between the next wave of cars. While passing in front of the police car, a tinge of ice water pumped through my veins.

Just as I stepped onto the curb, the cop car lit up and screamed its sirens. My heart began to beat out of its chest. I thought for sure I had been nailed. The sound came from all around me, entered down through my windpipe and reverberated around my ribcage. The car sped past me down Cedar Hill, running the red light at the top. I breathed a heavy sigh of relief, feeling numb as a result of the adrenaline. It took most of my walk down the hill to calm down.

Half way down Cedar Hill, I saw what drew the cop's attention. He had pulled over a woman in Volkswagen SUV, right on the bend in the road. Traffic backed up around them. The officer was in his car writing up a citation. I assumed it was a parking violation.


In[pursuit of]justice

No comments: